Saturday, December 5, 2015

Week 15 I bought knowledge at the MALL!

We explored a few mobile apps for language learning in class. It was quite interesting to investigate the pedagogical application of MALL because I have been using MALL for learning languages. Duolingo is the first MALL that I used for learning Italian. The experience was not bad at all, but this app still has some issues. Firstly, the intonation of speech in the app was awkward. It negatively affected the way I spoke Italian. Secondly, the vocabulary in each category is limited which is not useful for advanced learners. Finally, learners don't get to interact with people by using the app.

For MALL in general, they certainly have strengths compared to traditional classroom settings. You can get access to learning 24/7 and get instant correction. This can suit different needs of learners because some may want to go crazy about learning languages. Other than the efficiency, MALL is mostly free to use. This can offer opportunities for people who cannot afford for learning in a university.

However, one thing that MALL cannot compete with traditional classroom setting is the interaction with people. Learning in a traditional classroom gives people a platform to interact with each other. This can help with learners' speaking because they can get timely feedback from their peers or teachers. Timely feedback is highly significantly for learners' speaking. Without the awareness of mistakes, learners may find it harder to correct their speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment